Building a strategic roadmap to transform Singapore’s facility management industry
The Singapore International Facility Management Association (SIFMA) is the industry association dedicated to advancing the needs of the facility management profession and broader industry. SIFMA engaged Eden as its partner to assess the current landscape of the facility management industry and design a strategic roadmap and accompanying range of programmes to address the industry’s present and future needs.
The local facility management industry plays a critical but often overlooked role in maintaining and enhancing Singapore’s built environment assets. As a traditionally labour-intensive, siloed industry with a poor sector profile, facilities management is ripe for transformation, particularly as technological innovations increase in accessibility and customer expectations evolve. Further, the industry’s longevity relies on a steady stream of talent and a clear communication of facilities management as a source of value creation. A concerted view of the sector and the current challenges and opportunities present was required to determine key areas for intervention as well as a future direction for the industry.
To gain an understanding of key sectoral challenges, identify growth opportunities, design an industry-relevant and actionable strategy, and craft a compelling sector vision for the future Eden:
- Conducted research and benchmarking of current trends and best practices in facility management
- Conducted focus group discussions with service providers, asset owners, contractors, and professionals to surface challenges faced, aspirations, insights surrounding Singapore’s facilities management context, and co-create potential solutions
- Conducted in-depth interviews with key stakeholders including sector informants, international, forward-looking FM ecosystem players, education institutions, and key buyers
- Ran a scenario planning and visioning workshop to co-create and validate potential solutions to address sector challenges and future vision for sector
- Designed a three-year sector roadmap focused on addressing core sector needs and involving FM ecosystem stakeholders
- Developed an operationalisation plan to detail resource requirements, business models, and partners for the successful implementation of each initiative
Eden’s approach helped to inform industry stakeholders and relevant government agencies about the current facilities management landscape, identify growth opportunities and sector imperatives to design programmes and initiatives around. Further, the engagement equipped facilities management ecosystem stakeholders with compelling value propositions to enhance the strategic value of facilities management in Singapore.
"SIFMA was looking for a consulting firm to conduct a thorough research on the landscape of the FM industry. We chose Eden over two other international firms for its relevant experience in the built environment in Singapore. They demonstrated well their robust research methodology and approach to the study, and were also knowledgeable and highly committed.
Calvin and his team were closely involved throughout the study. We participated in one of his focus group discussions and were impressed with the breath and depth of the range of questions they asked. They were innovative in the way questions were asked, creating a conducive environment to engage and stimulate our thinking.
We were happy with the Eden team. They were very dedicated, listened closely to our comments and followed up with my suggestions. We are very impressed with the insights and recommendations made by Eden, which will have significant impact on the industry. SIFMA is now looking at rolling out some of them soon."
Singapore International Facility Management Association (SIFMA)